Thursday, December 10, 2009

I'm Just Preview'n it...


Last week when I attended my monthly PR Networking event, I had no expectations whatsoever. This had only been my second one and the first one there was a panel discussion but I really didn't know if all events thereafter would share the same format. I enjoyed the first one and my unemployed self couldn't wait to do anything that didn't involve staring at a computer scouring sites for a job.
I got there a little bit before 7pm. This event was at Berkeley Heritage Event Venue. An old church that is now is used for all types of non-dogmatic functions. Very cool. I quickly glanced the room of office chic youngthings along with both legitimate and wanna be pr aficionados and found myself a seat. I skipped the bar because I knew the speaker was starting soon and the smell of the red wine in the air was making my empty stomach a little queasy.
Julien Smith quickly introduced himself and thanked everyone for coming to listen to him. The confident and quarky co-author of Trust Agents began his entertaining powerpoint-like presentation on the values of the viral world. He was amazing! He broke it all down in easy to understand yet uber-inspiring methods for professional and personal gratification from the internet. A few things struck me:

- "You can't tell the joke unless you are at the bar". In other words, you must participate. He used the analogy of going to church - not about religion but about coming together. The same with conferences and the same with the very event we were all at. I got it. You can't want to be part of something if you are not active in it. It is almost like when you would get disappointed when you would get a blue participation ribbon instead of the first-place ribbon. Well you can't get the first place ribbon unless you participate, right? Okaaaaaay. Got it. I'mma do whatever it takes.

- "No strategy = death". If you do nothing, nothing happens.

- "Advantage comes from fear, from risk. You have to conquer that fear to take on all advantages". I used to be afraid to join a certain group in high school. Not like the 'cool' or 'jock' kind of group, I mean like the math or science group. Once I got over that fear, I got so much more out of it than better grades. Better friendships. Better bonds.

I just ordered the book today and haven't read anything as yet. I know nothing about it chapter for chapter as yet but I do know that what he talked about aren't just internet lessons but life lessons. I look forward to reading it and then I'll be just review'n it. Stay tuned...

Its your media, darling,
Asha
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment