Saturday, November 14, 2009

Woman of the Year!!!


Michie O!!! The style! The charm! The hotness that is Michelle Obama! My goodness....I can hardly stand it. She graced the cover of the December issue of Glamour magazine and also recieved the publication's highest honour ( along with 11 other fantastic females ) as Woman of the Year. Michelle Obama. The fashionable First Lady was applauded for styling herself for the cover shoot and gave sound advice for readers, " Don't look at the bank book or the title. Look at the heart. Look at the soul". I love everything about the Harvard Law School grad. But what is more than her flair for fashion or romance rules, is what she represents. Michelle Obama represents possibility. Michelle Obama makes it possible for someone of humble beginnings to go to Ivy league schools and to eventually get to the White House. Michelle Obama makes it possible for little girls to dream BIG. More than anything, Michelle Obama makes it possible to break the molds that the media give black women. Now, the portrayal of the angry, over-sexed, weave wearing black woman may be long from over on television or in movies but at least there is now something else. Thankfully, Clair of the Huxtable house had the reign for a time in the make believe world but we were long over due for her majesty Michelle of White House; in the real world. Luckily for me, I've had many Michelle Obamas in my life. My mother, grandmothers, aunts and especially the friends I affectionately call my 'sisters'. These femme phenoms have helped me turn dreams to reality. It is because of them I keep my shoulders square and hold my head up high and know that all things are possible. Too bad that all these women don't get to be on magazine covers. That's where Michelle comes in. Not just showing us, but reminding us that our possibility is a reality...


It's your media, darling....


Asha
p.s Who knew Glamour Magazine was so wonderful? I surely didn't know before this issue. *high fives team Glamour*! Well done!

No comments:

Post a Comment