Sunday, January 24, 2010

AVATAR



I saw the much talked about movie Avatar lastnight. I am not that much of a movie person but when my cuz asked me if I would join her to see it, I must admit I was excited to see what all the buzz was about. I couldn't remember the last time I even put on 3D glasses so I was anxious for the upclose thrills. I hardly care for special effects or high tech graphics but I knew this would be a treat. The story line is really what was so rich.


The movie is set in the future where corporations and scientists work side-by-side with the military in a lab (spaceship?) fully equipped with robots and chambers that can teleport humans to another life form. Without giving too much away, the movie's protagonist, Jake Sully, a paraplegic marine, is sent on a mission to view this other life form/race called the Na'Vi.


Although the movie set waaaay into the future the movie is so much about the past. I could not help but think about the environmental and social implications of a 'take-over'. The movie is a direct example of what my own ancestors in the Caribbean would have fallen victim to decades ago. More interestingly the futuristic movie is very much present-like since it has a direct correlation to the devastation that is Haiti right now - a sacred homeland now not just destroyed due to a natural disaster but also from years and years of an ostracization from the free world. France and America...there are no words. Hmph. I digress...


Moreover, I think the movie was very much about tolerance. Jakesully (yes, one word) came to realize that what is different can be beautiful and that one's home can shift or change...loyalties can multiply and strengthen.


The Na'Vi people in the movie inspire me to be my best in terms of teaching and learning....done patiently and purposefully...life long journeys. And their bodies were magnificent!...long and lean...I may have just found new inspiration for my 5am sweat sessions. With all the physical gorgeousness in that movie, it is no wonder there was room for a love scene amongst the violence and 'bad mind'. The Na'Vi also help inspire a higher level of spirituality. I don't think it is a coincidence that I see this movie while I am reading Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol where the power of positive energy is explored.


The movie also got me thinking about one of my passions - Carnival! I told my cuz (who just happens to be an amazing costume designer) that this year our make-up will have to be scale-like just like the Na'Vi people! Gorgeous hues of blues, greens and purples...hot! Can't wait.




This movie is a must-see for those who appreciate dynamic characters and special effects alike. Director is James Cameron is just brilliant for not only thinking/creating so vividly but actually conveying it over the big screen is just awesome. I would love to spend just 10minutes inside his head.




Go and see it!

No comments:

Post a Comment