Friday, December 18, 2009

Sleeper Stars....

I just love when I am right. Last week my girl Trish sent me an article on Kenan Thompson that detailed everything I already knew. He's been a star on the 'come up' for awhile now and I always thought he was the most under rated cast member of Saturday Night Live. I love his impersonations of Billy Cosby (what up, Cliff?) and Charles Barkley. And I especially love when he plays Virginiaca - the over sexed black woman; cuz we don't have enough of those - hilarious!

He has come a long way from one half of the burger joint duo of Kenan and Kel. Then he just had to spew a couple of quick paced one-liners to keep Nickolodeaners engaged.


A little later, slowly breaking off the ambilical cord...his roles were often cartoon versions of himself like in the movie adaptation of Fat Albert and even in his earlies at SNL.



His more recent portrayls of Whoopi Goldberg on The View and Tiger Woods give him a pass for super stardom. But his off-camera persona sets him apart from those before him. Less brash than an Eddie Murphy but more swagger than the Wayans Bros. ( God, how I miss In Living Colour!). More easiness than a John Candy and less intimidation than a Chris Rock . The only thing I love more than a sleeper star is one that carves out a space all for their own. Go dey, Kenan. Yuh large (no pun intended, I swear)!


I'd now like to take the time to predict another sleeper star. Recently, I've noticed Pussy Cat Dolls member Melody Thornton and have officially put her on style watch. I didn't watch the reality show where she was selected among many other contestants to win the coveted spot in the R&B group. One look at her though and you'd think she'd fit right in...cute and sexy...oh, 'and bubble gum'.



Yes. This chick was born for finger pointing and garter belts.


Her style has been softening up of late...less Beyonce-inspired locs for more natural looking waves matched with a slight smokey eye. Hot.



She's been taking risks off the stage showing less body hugging outfits for more urban-chic ensembles.

This fashion direction that she is taking could bring her to the over-exposed status of that of a certain good girl gone bad bajan beauty. Go ahead young grasshopper...I'll watch you hop to the top! Aaaaaannnnndddd...I'll have this blog as proof to holler, "Told yall!"
Why do I love sleeper stars so much? Because it gives credence to the old adage 'slow and steady wins the race' or 'hard work pays off in the end'. I love when good things happen to those we sometimes over look. Truth be told it is very much my Canadianism...the happy second but really we got the 'one up' ;)


Your media darling,

Asha
xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Nice piece Asha. Kenan is definitely a funny cat, and very underrated as well,so it's great to see him getting some plaudits. Melody is looking soo sassy in those pics. I'm gonna keep my eye on her as well...

    ReplyDelete